mEldritch: a moddable build of the Eldritch engine
What is it?
This is a build of the Eldritch source code released by David Pittman that has been modified to support modding more easily. Thanks, David, for releasing the source code to your game, and for being very helpful with this project!
This version of Eldritch has been tested with the humble version of Eldritch on Windows 7, Linux (XUbuntu 14.04) and MacOSX Yosemite. It has also been tested with the windows steam version of Eldritch on Windows 7.
You need the original game to use this, which you can get from http://eldritchgame.com/
Major changes to the original Eldritch source are:
- unified build system (Makefiles & gcc) on all 3 platforms
- ported editor and all tools (except for the ContentSyncer) to Mac and Linux
- revised loader for game assets, for easy overriding of game assets in mods
- revised config file loader, with a similar purpose
- changed a few editor key bindings from the original, since they clashed with stuff on Linux or Mac. Also, made a few other keys available in the game, like Quicksave/load (using the latter will leave a mark on your game screen, though ;) )
- screenshots working on all platforms
- made all spawners that make sense available in the editor
- made a subtool to choose the theme for your room from within the editor
- an entry point to mods having new worlds within the game
- added PNG loading for textures
- a preview mode for the editor
- and a load of smaller things to facilitate the above
- provided example mods, and something resembling the beginnings of a documentation
Someone actually did something with this! Meaning, there is a mod. You can find it here.
- Release 183 (2015-10-13) - what's new
- Release 128 (2015-02-19) - what's new
- Release 109 (2015-02-04) - initial release
The current build is 183, released on Oct 13, 2015.
Like David's original Eldritch sources, this is available unter the zlib license. The license itself is included in the source archive.
I have begun to make a mod based on the movie "The Whisperer in the Darkness". I made some custom models, textures, a few rooms, some config files, but I lack the time to do any more work on it. If anyone wants do complete it, or study it, they're more than welcome to. You can download the stuff here. It is released under a CC BY 4.0 license.
If you have anything to say about this, comments, bug reports, whatever, feel free to email them to